The Last Two Weeks Here In Salem

Our last weeks of the summer were a time of recovering from our trip to Michigan as well as squeezing those last minute outings in before school began.  We came home the day before the solar eclipse (August 19th). After we enjoyed full totality and experiencing all the hype and excitement on the 20th--we crashed into a time of fatigue and exhaustion.  Rob was still on the other side of the world until that Saturday the 26th.  I never sleep well when he is out of town and I was jet lagged from travel.  I was getting up multiple times in the night and not getting good rest.

I also was dealing with fall planning regarding my job.  Plus I had a few different conversations with others regarding church matters which pulled me back into a "non-sabbitcal mode."  It is amazing how easily that happens without really trying.

Everything Rob does to keep our family going comes to light when we don't have him with us...even the little things.  I am not used to grocery shopping, cooking all the meals, doing all the cleaning afterwards, filling out paperwork, getting the mail and sorting it, taking out the trash (which I forgot to do)--and Rob is so much better on utilizing help from the kids than I am.

By Thursday (the 24th) we were starting to feel somewhat normal.  I took the kids to the Bush Park Cross Country Races.  Our local running club along with volunteers from local high schools host cross country races for all ages every Thursday night in August.  We have not gone every year as there are many competitive runners along with some little kids who run year round and compete on traveling track teams. My kids don't normally come close to placing.  Even many of the adults are competitive runners and I end up near the end of my age group--whereas at other community 5Ks I can place or at least be in the top five.  I wish the Thursday race nights brought in more non-competitive runners--it is very inexpensive and a nice course.  I encourage my children to do the best they can and try to beat their own time.
Running for us is mostly fun and something we can do together.  If any of my kids want to take it to a more competitive level, I would rather they do so an older age. My younger two were still interested in competing and they both did very well.  Kara placed fourth in her age group.  Derek had stiff competition and did not place, but still ran a eight minute mile.  For a nine year old that is pretty decent.

On Friday (the 25th) we enjoyed having pizza at the pool and spending some extra time swimming.  Then the following day we drove to Portland en route to the airport to pick up Rob.  We did a quick stop at IKEA for lunch.  The kids were playing with all the stuffed animals in the "Children's IKEA" section.

Rob made it home in one piece.  We drove all the way home with the intention of staying home and resting.  Our fellowship group from church was having their end of the summer picnic that night.  Originally we were on the fence about going not knowing how jet lagged Rob would be...or how late we would return home from Portland.  Even though the sun was nearly going down, we decided last minute to go for the last hour.  I am thankful we did as it was good for me to re-connect with friends.  I have loved the sabbatical and seeing how the extra time together has strengthened our family.  I do miss many of my friends I have not been able to see much of this summer due to all our traveling.

On Tuesday Rob did his traditional "Last Hurrah" with the kids.  He started the tradition about four or five years ago. He and the kids take the Amtrak train to Portland.  This year they went to the Clackamas Aquatic Center.  It is always a day that I enjoy to myself.  I never plan a whole of activities because there is something refreshing about being in a quiet house all day.  I went out for breakfast with a friend, walked and picked blackberries at Minto Brown Park, and worked on projects at home.

On Wednesday we went to the Oregon State Fair.  We don't go to it every year.  We know very little about raising farm animals and the carnival midway rides are pricey.  With going to many amusement parks all over the Midwest, I cannot justify the $50.00 wristband price when a day pass at Michigan Adventure is $20.00 less.  However the Summer Reading program at the library always gives out admission tickets.  We found there were quite a few shows and events going on that were free.
We went to this clown show called "Jest In Time"  I somehow got recruited as a volunteer from the audience to hold these spinning plates...which was very difficult!  It took me several tries before I figured out how to do it.  I tried to get them to pick Rob, but for some reason they chose me instead.  We also viewed the art exhibits as well as the Lego building, pastries, and cake entries.  We did let each of our kids pick out one ride.  Hailey chose this moving platform ride I always call "The Falling Star" because that it is is named at Michigan Adventure.  I said, "Sorry I cannot ride that one with you."  I get so nauseous on it.
Derek chose the gliders which I have always wanted to ride.  I was good until about the last 2-3 minutes when I was starting to feel dizzy...but not enough to find a garbage can.
Kara chose the Haunted House which was super short...and actually did not rank well according to the newspaper compared to the other rides.  But Kara didn't seem to care...she had a great time.  I think she loved riding a spooky ride all by herself.
On the last day of August was also the final cross country race at Bush Park.  Derek wanted to run it again and I said I would do the 5K as well.  I hardly worked out the whole time we were in Michigan or the days before Rob came home.  I started running again once he came back and was feeling pretty good despite doing nothing for 2 1/2 weeks.
Derek did not beat his time--he was about thirty seconds slower.  He still ran a good race and had a great attitude about it.
For myself I got fifth in my age category...I would have gotten fourth but someone passed me literally right in front of the finish line.  My time was around 26:30 and I typically am a minute or minute and a half faster than that.  This race will forever be known as the "Mac and Cheese" run.  We ate Rob's homemade mac and cheese (and lots of it) only an hour before the race.  It sat in my stomach and I felt sick at different points during the race...and afterwards.  Thankfully I kept everything in, but I could not eat the Wendy's Frosties we stopped for on the way home.

Fall is my favorite time of the year to run.  I love the crisp air and colored leaves.  I find it easier to train for races once school starts and I can settle into a doable running routine.  Summer travel always throws off my exercise regimen.

On Friday (the 1st) we celebrated Rob's 38th birthday--even though his actual birthday was August 23rd.  He spent his actual birthday in Indonesia where he was blessed with a cake and a little party. I decorated our eating area to look like one our favorite scenes from an episode of the office.   Dwight tries to set up the conference room with party decorations for Kelly's birthday and fails miserably with half blown up balloons, droopy streamers and a generic banner.
Rob picked up on it right away and got a huge kick out of it...we continued to celebrate by going out to a new German restaurant and opening presents.

We enjoyed the rest of our low key weekend by going to the pool, our older two kids went out Saturday with different friends, and on Sunday we went to the church we have been attending one last time.

Yesterday was Labor Day which is our unofficial ending to the summer.  We did a hike near Lincoln City to Drift Creek Falls.  It is a three mile hike that goes over this long suspension bridge to a beautiful waterfall.  I have always wanted to do it.

The kids enjoyed climbing and playing on the rocks.  
We went shopping for clothes at the outlet mall and played on the beach for a little bit afterwards.  We hit major traffic coming home and spent our final hours of the summer eating Papa Murphy's pizza.

I started the first day of the school year with my traditional early morning run.  The picture is very grainy because it was still quite dark...and the air extremely smoky.  It felt like running through a campground.  Our state is literally on fire right now.  A huge fire in the Columbia River Gorge that started they think by fireworks keeps growing massively.  People in Portland are getting ashes rained down on them.  We are simply getting heavy smoke that is making the sun look like this eerie orange ball in the sky.  Right now our air quality is ranked as "unhealthy" and only a few numbers away from being deemed "very unhealthy."
We got the kids to school on time.  So here's to a new year of seventh grade, fourth grade, and second grade.  There are not any big changes this year.  They are all in the same school and our girls both have the same teachers as last year while our son has a brand new teacher.  Many of their friends from last year have returned.  However, there is always this unsettling feeling on starting again and moving into a more intense schedule.  It seems like establishing the school routine takes several weeks.

For myself it is a bit odd because Rob and I do not have much to do today...or this week for that matter.  Rob is still on sabbatical until Monday.  Normally the past couple years we have had day care kids parading through our house on the first day of school.  Since I closed my day care in June, that time in our lives is over.  It is quiet!  Although I have a new job, I do not start until later this month.  So while summer is over, our fall has not fully begun yet.  I will take this last week to enjoy the summer sabbatical and prepare for a new era ahead.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pastor Wife on Sabbatical (Amy's perspective)

Sights and Sounds of India