Back to Midwest Day 11: Visiting Grandma and Coming Home to the Eclipse

We are home.  Despite our city being in totality for the solar eclipse this morning, we had zero issues getting home. I cannot imagine trying to get to the airport or back now--I heard traffic is horrendous.  Our shuttle bus from PDX to Salem was actually early and we were in the house by 12:30 PM.  Previously with all the travel warnings we were anticipating being home much later.  I think we timed it right.

Tired is an understatement.  With so much activity the past ten days, time zone changes, long travel day, and unpacking--I am feeling the fatigue settling in.  I am craving some normalcy after Rob returns home this weekend.

I will back up with yesterday.  We left my parent's home in Byron Center a little bit before 10:30 AM and drove in two separate cars bound for Chicago.  We had to take both vehicles because we cannot all fit in one.  Plus my mom needed to stay in the area longer than my dad.

The ride itself was pleasant until we hit the Indiana border, of course.
Dear, Indiana, I love you because you were my home for seven and a half years and then one year again as an adult.  But I despise your constant construction and backed up traffic on the I 94.  As soon as we cross your border, we are always welcomed with bumper to bumper traffic that never lets up until we enter into Illinois.
Once we finally made into the Chicago area, we stopped to visit my Grandma.  She is 92 years old and has outlived many of her family members...despite having health issues over the years.  Her hearing is very limited but each of my children were able to share with their great grandma something special we did on our trip.  
Today Grandma is moving to another facility where she can get the care she needs.  I have countless memories of visiting her as a child and young adult in her home in Oak Lawn, Illinois.  She lived in Grand Rapids for a brief time only a mile away from us when we lived in seminary housing.  I used to go clean her apartment and she would watch my oldest who was an infant at the time.  She would often talk about what life was like in "Dutch Chicago" growing up and how she missed my grandpa when he fought in World War II.
Even though my kids do not see her very much, they ask about her and have prayed for her.  Our youngest child would often make her painting and drawings.  She is my last living grandparent and I am thankful for her.
We stopped at my cousin's house to say "hello" and visit with his family plus my uncle and aunt before heading to Midway Airport.  Did not take any photos there, but was thankful to see them even if it was briefly.  My cousin's wife graciously supplied my children with snacks and watermelon.

We made it to the airport with enough time to grab a quick dinner.  I think all of us slept quite a bit of the flight and were eager to get back into Oregon.  We had to wait about an hour for our shuttle bus which was early despite previous warnings of eclipse traffic.  Most of us slept a good part of the bus ride.  Then it was just a short drive from Salem Airport to home where our cat was eagerly awaiting us.  We were in the house by 12:30 am (but it probably felt closer to 3:30 am on our bodies)
We came home in the middle of the eclipse hype but with enough time to participate.  We did not make plans with anyone not knowing how tired we would be (or what time we would make it home).  Our plan was to have our own eclipse brunch in the backyard.  We were in the path of totality and it would get dark around 10:18 am.
It was amazing watching the moon beginning to cover the sun.  Around 9:50 am we felt the temperature starting to drop.  It was shady but still pretty light out.
We moved to the front yard around 10:00 am.  Some of our neighbors were on their roofs or in their front yards.  We watched as the sun was becoming more of a sliver.
Pictures do not do justice.  A few minutes before 10:18, the street lights came on.  It did not feel like dusk, but rather this eerie darkness with a slight glow.  The birds stopped singing.  It did get as dark as nighttime.  It was one of the amazing natural outdoor events I have ever experienced.  Our whole neighborhood started cheering and a few people lit off firecrackers.

It is really hard to tell from this picture but this was just as it was getting dark...
This is not my photo.  I could not get a good picture of the sun.  It happened so quick.  This is someone else's and it captures exactly what the sun looked like.
Like many others we were able to get little eclipse shadows all over the side of the house.
The cat was very skittish and terrified mostly from the fire crackers.  I also think she was confused by the darkness as well. We heard on the news that some chickens ran into the coop once the darkness hit.  Once it got light again, they ran back out and a rooster crowed like it is morning.

Coming home to the eclipse was a good pick-me-up and felt like it was an ending to a fabulous vacation.  We originally booked our trip so we would be in home in time for the eclipse.  I questioned whether that was necessary, but my gut feeling told me it was.  I think we made the right decision to be home for this!  I wish it was not so many years until we could experience it again.  I also wish it lasted longer than a few minutes.  I know it is something my kids will never forget!  People have remarked on Facebook how creative and majestic God is in his handiwork of His creation...and I echo those same thoughts.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Last Two Weeks Here In Salem

Pastor Wife on Sabbatical (Amy's perspective)

Sights and Sounds of India