THANK YOU!!




Well, the long, slow trek home came to a happy conclusion on Saturday afternoon at PDX airport. After something like 25 hours in the air (including two night-times, in the span of Friday-Saturday, thanks to the phenomenon of crossing the international date line), with an additional 12 hours in various airports, I walked through the "arrivals" door at my home airport, and saw my family waiting for me at the "Kissing Post." It was indeed a glad reunion. It's not to say that the trip home was terrible; as far as international air travel, it was actually enjoyable. Have a look at a few of these pictures I snapped along the way:


A Jetstar Boeing 787 parked in Bali, waiting to take us passengers to Sydney.

 A view of downtown Sydney, Australia, taken from the window of the Qantas A-380 that would be my ride home.
Maybe one of my favorite photos I've taken -- a view of the famous Sydney Opera House as seen from the air.


Sunrise over the Pacific Ocean, about 500 miles west of Los Angeles.

Qantas 11 on short final onto Runway 24 right, flying directly over Sepulveda Blvd. That's an In-n-Out Burger in the foreground.

Qantas Flight 11, from Sydney, to LA, will continue its journey later in the day, flying from LA to New York. Here, it's docked in Los Angeles (notice the second jet bridge, docked to the second level of the airplane -- I'm on the lower jetway).



The iconic revolving restaurant, as seen from Terminal 6 at LAX.

My final flight -- at least for awhile. (I'm ready for a little break!!). Alaska Airlines, flt. 419 from Los Angeles to Portland.


 And of course, there is no place like home -- and the people who are there. 

Yesterday, we went to church -- our first time back to Sunnyslope since June, and a first step in "re-entry" to ministry (more on that in a future blogpost). We spent a little time at the pool, and I showed off some pictures to my family. This week I'll be taking it easy, getting caught up on some of the stuff that falls behind after being away for two+ weeks.

But first... I've already thought a fair bit about these experiences over the last two weeks, and a lot of things run through my mind. Some of it is evaluating what went well, what could go better... some of it has been remembering good memories made, and marveling at the experiences along the way. And that has left me filled with gratitude -- gratitude that I wanted to express to the many good folks who took an interest in this trip. I've taken four trips to three different countries in the past two years with ITEM. Every time, I've had the chance to share some of these experiences via social media, and every time, I am simply amazed at the number of people who take the time to read about these trips -- not just once or twice, but faithfully throughout the trip. I'm so grateful for the folks who skim through the (MANY!) pictures I post, read about my adventures, comment, wish me well, tell me that they are praying for me (especially when I go head-to-head with a door frame...). To know that many of you all enjoyed reading along is absolutely humbling to me. I owe you a debt of thanks. 

There's a part of me that feels very much unworthy of an experience like this - I am deeply grateful to many others who have made this trip possible. So, to them I say -- thank you!

I'm grateful for ITEM and for the work they do in training and equipping future church leaders. They do fantastic work -- and if you are looking for a worthy organization to support, check them out. 

My church granted me this Sabbatical (and my thanks for that experience deserves its own post) -- and I'm grateful, very grateful, for the support and encouragement that they have demonstrated in this work. In sending me, they are playing a part in the work of God's kingdom around the world.

My hosts Joseph and his family (in India) and Jonson (in Indonesia) were gracious hosts, and they both showed wonderful hospitality, making us feel very much at home. Hospitality always requires a sacrifice, and they both, in different ways gave of themselves richly, and in doing so, they were a blessing to us.

My good friend Bill -- we've completed four of these trips together, and each one has been a very memorable experience. We were good friends before these trips, and I think we've become better friends as we've taught together.

And finally, and perhaps most importantly, to my wife, and family. Amy has been unwavering in her support (not just this time, but every time I've gone abroad). She shoulders a much larger load while I'm away and that isn't always easy. This time, she had a bit of extra help from her family -- and I appreciate their help in that way too! Nonetheless, it's tough to be carrying the full load of parenting while I'm gone, but she does it and is encouraging, and supportive along the way. These experiences wouldn't work without her extra effort.

God is good -- the giver of many good gifts. I'm thankful for each one of them -- and again, thanks for reading along. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Last Two Weeks Here In Salem

Pastor Wife on Sabbatical (Amy's perspective)

Sights and Sounds of India