Youth Ministry in Indonesia

Typically, the work of ITEM focuses on teaching and training pastors, elders, and teachers in churches around the world. My work with ITEM has, to this point, been involved with teaching seminars in preaching that help pastors in the task of Christ-centered preaching. Typically, the groups we have range anywhere in size from 30-60 church leaders. We've found that the ideal size is around 25-40 students; this allows for productive and involved small-group time, during which we put the pastors to work together in groups, discussing and studying the texts of scripture, with an eye towards preaching them. Any smaller, and the chemistry of the group may not be there, and any larger, and the group discussion can become too difficult to hold together.

Well, our experience in Indonesia became very different -- and we had to adapt on the fly. When we stepped into the classroom (our facilities were at a local Christian church & School -- see the photo above and the photo to the right) on the first day of teaching, we were met with a classroom full of young men and women -- middle & high school students. At first, I wondered if we were perhaps in the wrong place, or if these students would participate in our opening time of worship, and then return to their classrooms for their studies. Nope -- these were the students we would be teaching for the next three days.

So what does one do? We realized fairly quickly that we wouldn't be able to teach a preaching class here. We also find out that these students indeed have great leadership potential, and a great love for the Lord, and for God's word. But many of them have not had opportunities to learn how to study the bible. In times like this -- when events that are beyond your control unfold -- that it is so important to rest in the sovereignty of God. As a Christian, I believe that all happens under God's control, and so even if I didn't plan our event this way, I trust that God has a purpose and a plan for this seminar. My job is to adapt to the circumstances at hand -- and that's what Bill and I did. Rather than teach a preaching seminar, we approached this time as a youth retreat/discipleship course. We focused on teaching students how they could read and study the bible on their own -- and how to apply it in their own lives.

We also had to adapt our teaching style -- from a style that was more lecture-focused, to a classroom style. I actually enjoyed that -- and learned some Indonesian teaching techniques along the way. I will say that the students learned well. They were excellent students, eager to learn, and very participatory. They responded well to questions, worked well in groups, and showed good progress in their work (we could tell, as they were able to answer the questions effectively, and reflected the knowledge we were trying to impart to them.)

And if that weren't enough, we had a few other wildcards to deal with along the way. On Tuesday afternoon,  I sustained a very minor injury that looked more dramatic than it really was. On Wednesday, my colleague and friend fell ill, and was not able to teach, and so I had to teach the whole day on my own. As well, the power went out that day, so we had to teach most of the afternoon speaking loudly in a hot and humid classroom with nearly 100 students. And the cherry on top was when the generator surged, nearly starting an electrical fire in the back of the classroom, which nearly triggered a mass exodus of students. So, it was an eventful week, if nothing else!

I will say, it would be difficult to find a group of more joyful and friendly people. These students were incredibly warm and kind -- full of smiles. Many of them are lower class, and some live in clear poverty, and are noticeably malnourished. Some of them travel two hours two school each day. The odds are against these children, and yet they reflect a happiness that isn't always evident in more developed countries. They also reflect a disciplined learning. Try keeping control over 100 students for 6 hours! Yet, they were remarkably focused. And yes, there were still the usual dynamics you'd expect in a class of students this age -- some goofing off, some passing notes, some distractions, the like. But still, a resectful, disciplined group of students.

And, they know how to have fun! I celebrated my birthday while in Kupang, and the group threw me a great party -- with cake, singing, and dancing. The joy here was contagious --  it was tough being away from home on my birthday but their kindness was a gift to me that I will remember for a long time. At the left, you can see me receiving a traditional Indonesian hat that reflects the local tribal culture (Indonesia has multiple tribes across many islands -- and each tribe has a distinct culture, reflective of that tribe's history and heritage).


At the end of our time together, the students again put on a celebration for us. They performed dances, songs, and they invited (compelled?) us to dance as well. My dancing skills proved vastly inferior to those of the Indonesians -- but they loved it when I made an effort. Mostly, I did the "Sprinkler" dance, to the cheers and laughter of the students. Bill might have been a better dancer than I, but I don't know. We were both pretty bad. In this final photo, you'll see myself and Bill, along with some of the school teachers, and pastors (there were several pastors in attendance to the conference), and translators who made this event a success. The scarf I am wearing here is traditionl Indonesian wear, which was given to me as a gift.  And, that's a wrap. At the time of this writing, I am in Bali, awaiting the next segment of my flight home. All in all, this trip was a success -- although a success in a different way than I had imagined. Trusting God's sovereignty means that He alone knows the outcome and the results of an event as this one.

I'll post one final entry about my trip -- once I arrive home. Thanks to all who have read and encouraged and supported me through this trip!






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Last Two Weeks Here In Salem

Pastor Wife on Sabbatical (Amy's perspective)

Sights and Sounds of India