Gratitude

My 3-month Sabbatical is winding down and our family is transitioning into "fall mode."  Our days spent at the pool are over (though we may stop in now and again in the next week or so); We enjoyed a day at the coast to enjoy Labor Day; the kids started school this morning. In some ways, the summer flew by -- it's hard to believe that September is upon us and this Sabbatical that we've been planning for and anticipating since February of 2016 is just a few days from being over. I think back to the first Monday where I didn't have to go in to work -- and we went out for breakfast instead -- and that seems like just yesterday. In other ways though, it has been a long summer, in the very best way. Amy and I started this Sabbatical by going on a marriage retreat in Prescott, Arizona, and when I reflect on that time -- eating pizza in downtown Prescott, enjoying coffee and conversation on the deck with Joey and Robyn, our mentor couple, hiking through desert landscape -- it feels like many months ago.

Wrapping up the Sabbatical, and reflecting back on all that it has meant has left me feeling very, very grateful. In the New Testament, James reminds the church that "Every good and perfect gift comes from the Father the above..." (James 1:17) which means that God is the source of all good things that we enjoy (and even those things we may not enjoy -- but that's a topic for another post). So, my primary gratitude is directed to God -- but I'm also grateful to many others as well.  Here's how I'm giving thanks (in no particular order...).

...To Sunnyslope Church: The idea of a Sabbatical was new to our congregation. New, as in "We've never tried that before." Sadly, not all churches buy into the idea of a Sabbatical, perhaps seeing it as an extended vacation ("...and after all, I work hard every day, and I don't get a three-month vacation!"). Sunnyslope committed to learning about why a Sabbatical can serve both the pastor and the church well. Sunnyslope not only granted me a Sabbatical, but created a policy to ensure that future pastors will benefit as well. Not only that, but they put some money behind this endeavor, which is huge -- it backs up talk with treasure. That meant a lot to us -- we saw it as a huge investment in us and in the wellbeing of the church.  All along, the church has been tremendously supportive, encouraging, and interested in what I'd be doing during the course of this adventure. Plus, I think they miss us a bit, and will take us back next week... And that feels good too.

...To our interns -- Matt and Ben. They were (intentionally) thrown into a demanding job. I'm looking forward to hearing from them how it went, what they learned, how they grew, and how their vision of pastoral work has changed and grown as well. It's not easy to jump into pastoral work, but I appreciate their willingness to take this plunge.



...to ITEM -- a great organization with a heart for training Church leaders in developing countries. ITEM gave me the opportunity already two years ago to travel to Ukraine, and now this summer to India and Indonesia. I mean, travelling around the world, sampling other cultures, learning from them, and teaching the bible -- who gets to do that? I count myself incredibly fortunate to be able to serve in this way. It's a privilege to be a part of what they are doing in many corners of the world. And while I'm at it, I'm grateful for the people who made my recent trip two weeks ago such a success.  My good friend Bill is one of the reasons these trips are so enjoyable. Our hosts in India and Indonesia demonstrated such wonderful hospitality, and made these trips a highlight.

...To my wife and family -- I'm always grateful for them - we are far from a perfect family, but we have fun together. In general, I'm thankful for all the memories we made this summer -- at the pool, geocaching, exploring cemeteries, making new desserts, visiting the Saturday Market, and plunging into New York City and Washington DC. Wow. I'm beyond blessed for those experiences. In particular, Amy (and her family in Michigan) did a superb job holding down the fort while I was away. Again -- how should I be so fortunate to be able to travel as I did? Amy makes it possible -- it really couldn't happen except her willingness to shoulder an extra burden while I'm away.


...to 1010 Ministries and Joey & Robyn Coffman -- Folks in ministry NEED to jot down these names. They provided an incredibly hospitable space for us to rest, and to learn what rest is; they became excellent mentors -- a safe place for us to talk about our marriage, and to be heard, and challenged.  Many, many marriages face challenges -- and pastors are not immune. If you are in ministry and you find that your marriage is being strained, you need to talk to Joey and Robyn soon. Our 5 days in Arizona gave shape to the whole rest of the summer, and our time with them has already had a positive impact on our marriage (which in turn will have a positive impact on ministry...)

...To Evergreen Church -- this little congregation on the north edge of downtown Salem became a temporary spiritual home for us when we were in town. We attended somewhat sporadically because we were often travelling and out of town, but they provided good preaching and a warm welcome. It was deeply gratifying to see another church in Salem faithfully preaching and teaching God's word, and it felt good to find this resting place for the summer. We'll miss Evergreen!

There are many more little things, of course. I'm grateful for summer afternoons by the pool. For health (especially considering all of our trips -- and especially since I was visiting areas that had higher health risks...), for fires in the firepit in the backyard, for art galleries that we explored, for $.50 frosties, for jazz music (and new headphones and a new bluetooth speaker with which to enjoy it!), for good books that I read on the patio, for movies in the park, for airlines, for trips home... And many more things. I could go on -- but it's better for now that I don't.

A few weeks prior to me leaving on Sabbatical, someone said to me, "Enjoy your Sabbatical -- you deserve it!" Which of course was a kind thing to say. It also, I think, isn't wholly accurate. I don't feel that I deserved a time like this summer.  Many others work just as hard -- and harder - than I ever do and yet don't enjoy a break such as we've just had. This summer came to us as a gift, undeserved, unearned. A grace, granted to us by God, and for that I am deeply, deeply, thankful.







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Last Two Weeks Here In Salem

Pastor Wife on Sabbatical (Amy's perspective)

Sights and Sounds of India