Back to West Michigan: Days 9 & 10: Craig's Cruisers and Lansing

We are still in West Michigan...but not much longer.  Tomorrow morning we still start the long journey home by driving to Chicago, visiting family there, and then flying out of Midway Airport.  We come into Salem tomorrow night and will get to experience the apocalypse eclipse the next morning
Yesterday we went to Craig's Cruisers in Grand Rapids which has changed a lot since I last was there at least ten years ago.  There is way more to do and it is more like a Dave and Buster's.  Each of the kids and (and adults!) enjoyed the pizza buffet (which had way more than pizza) and picked the attractions they wanted to do.  Kara got Grandpa drenched on the bumper boats...and it was not that hot out.
My younger two mini golfed with Grandpa and Grandma and their cousin.  They have not played much mini golf so their cousin patiently taught them.  They caught on better with time.
My oldest and son also drove go carts for the very first time and they did great!  No major crashes or problems with the gas or brake.  I drove the indoor go carts on the slick track for the very first time in my life.  A guy tried to pass me and was unsuccessful.  He remarked, "You are the only one I couldn't pass!"  It is too many ruthless go cart rides with Rob and his brothers constantly cutting one another off.  They taught me well.
We played our share of video games.  Gone are the days of paper tickets, tokens, and ticket counters.  Everything is on plastic cards instead.  We all got addicted greatly enjoyed playing this Wizard of Oz game where you can win tokens and cards to redeem for tickets.  It reminded me of my childhood as we often went to Chuck E Cheese until we graduated to the places similar but for older kids.  I always thought it was for us kids to enjoy, but I think my parents liked it just as much...if not more.  Of course they always share their tickets with the kids.
All the kids turned in their tickets for candy.  Some of the kids got different flavors of pucker powder which is basically colored sugar...what you might find in a Pixie Stick.
We went over to my parent's house for dinner.  My sister's new dog Marley enjoyed her first doggy play date with my parent's neighbor's golden retriever.  Marley had way more energy but she played so well.
Kara played with Marley for a very long time and enjoyed playing catch with her.  Makes me wonder if the Toornstras should get a dog?   I can't bring myself to that kind of commitment...and I am perfectly content with my cat.
Today is our last full day here and we intentionally kept it open and planned activities last minute.  We started out at my nephew's soccer game.  He plays on the JV team at the local Christian high school.  I can't believe it is soccer season already.
All my son has been talking about since we got to Michigan was his strong desire to go to Lansing.  He really wanted to see the Capitol Building.  Up until today I have never been to Lansing...just drove around it on the way to Ohio.  I moved to Michigan too late missing the mandatory 3rd or 4th grade field trip to the Capital Building and knew more about Indiana history versus Michigan.  

We did go to the Capitol Building and took a tour which was very impressive.  We saw both the rooms the Senate and House meet in plus learned some fun facts about the building itself.  The rotunda is much smaller than Oregon's.  The kids remarked how everything is darker and brown.  Not much of the inside is made with marble but wood resembled to look like marble.  So much of the building including the House member's desks are from the late 1880's when the Capital was constructed.
We also drove over to Michigan State University and had ice cream at the Dairy Store by the Agricultural Building.  It was amazing and so tasty!  We had such a great time in Michigan and we are getting ready to go home back to Oregon.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Last Two Weeks Here In Salem

Pastor Wife on Sabbatical (Amy's perspective)

Sights and Sounds of India